Monday, May 2, 2011

Washington D.C. Trip Day Two

(Above: The painted dome ceiling in the U.S. Capitol Building)

Well to start off tonights entry, I have managed to keep my license and all other important objects safe. It was really interesting that we ended up being in Washington D.C. at the same time as Bin Laden was killed. It would have been interesting to go party with the others outside the white house gates, but with the possibility of getting arrested looming over head the idea just kind of passed. ( AKA: no bail money)

Day two of our adventure began with continental breakfast which was surprising rather good, kudos to the hotel. Not just the bagel and donuts, but you could get french toast sticks, eggs, and sausage even. Good times. Then after breakfast we head over to catch the metro to our first destination: The U.S. Capitol Building.

We took the metro to the Capitol South terminal and ventured our way towards the capitol building. It turns out that we couldn't have picked a better day to be tourists in our nation's capitol, the weather was beautiful. Much better than the constant changing weather in our neck of the woods. The walk over was very nice because we passed several other really cool places as well that would be nice to visit, such as the Library of Congress and the Supreme Court. When we reached the Capitol building we of course had to scanned through again, all of this security is crazy, but I'm sure its important to keeping everyone safe. Once we got inside there were so many beautiful statues including Helen Keller, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Thomas Jefferson. We watched this really neat documentary about the nation's capital and the uniqueness of our nation itself. Then we went through the tour itself and it was very informative. Not only was it informative, but the tour guide was very interactive and funny, which kept the tour alive. You almost need some laughter to keep the party going in a building full of marble statues and paintings sometimes. We also had lunch in the restaurant located in the Capitol Building, the food was pretty decent and was not a very bad nice. Overall, the trip to the U.S. Capitol building was very informative and kept visit really very interesting. The most interesting fact I noticed was that the painting around the top edge of the dome took a really long time to complete because the original painter measured wrong when it came to the original plans. So this painting series was completed by another painter many, many years later.

After leaving the Capitol buliding we took the metro over to our second destination of the day, The Holocaust Museum. I have been to a smaller version of the museum in St. Louis, but the impact that seeing all of the pictures and artifacts never gets an easier. The part that I always remember most is the display of shoes that came from the concentration camps. It is unthinkable that any human being would be able to do that to another human being, but we all know that this idea of genocide has happened or is happening in other places in the world too. Some human beings are just cruel or are convinced that their actions are okay. The Holocaust Museum visit was really good was really great because you could see everything and listen to everything at your own pace. I really enjoy not being rushed through when I want to read something or listen to someone speak. Visiting this museum is something that everyone should do in their life time because we do not want this to happen again. It is also so hard to believe that some people during this time period are starting to question the truth behind the holocaust, when the evidence is so apparent. A great quote that I saw inside that really stuck with me because it is so true and very powerful was:

"First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out because I was not a socialist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for the jews, and I did not speak out because I was not a jew. Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak for me".

Our final stop for the day was dinner at a place called Buca di Beppo and it was the first time I had ever even heard of the restaurant. It was an italian restaurant and it had a lot of very good food. The wait staff was very attentive and even let us take to go boxes. I really enjoyed the restaurant and would consider going back in the future.

Overall, the day was very good, but very tiring with all of the walking and just being out all day. Tomorrow will be fantastic as well so come back for more.